"Taco" in the middle

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

krystofr

"Taco" in the middle

Post by krystofr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm

1) I just got an AE Expedition and I'm trying to determine if I've inflated the main chambers correctly. I listened to some advice on the forum and tried picking it up from end. I noticed no folding or "taco"ing. BUT, when I gently shake it up in down in the air I notice it start to fold near where the footbrace is located. Does this mean I need more air?

2) For all the small chamber with the twist valve, I have a hard time keeping the air in when doing it on my own. It seems I need three hands: one to pump, one to hold the tip of the pump in the right spot, and one to quickly twist the valve shut before losing the air pressure. Any tips?

Thanks!

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:22 pm

If you have a gauge on your pump, then you can see if you are the correct pressure - if not, then it should feel as firm as a tennis ball and not taco.

As for the twist valves, just wrap electrical insulation tape round the valve a couple turns and your problem will be solved.

Also, look through the other posts on the forum.

Cheers,

Ian

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 am

For the twist valves, if you are using a hand pump, I pump with one hand while holding the hose attachment onto the twist valve. When it is full, I continue to slightly push on the pump with my one hand and twist close the twist valve while the hose attachment is still on it with the other hand. You can also remove your hand off of the pump to use two hands to close the twist valve while the hose attachment is still on the twist valve. Air won't really leak out if you use the second method because the pump doesn't allow the air to really flow back into it.

Jeremy

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:24 pm

It is a good rule of thumb. If the kayak is lifted from either end and you see bending in the middle, then it it typically under inflated. If you have the backbone accessory, you will not be able to see this because it is a stiff rod down the center. A pump with pressure gauge is handy to let you know if you are at or around the correct pressure.

Jeremy