AF vs AFS: Tracking & Speed Difference

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bill407

AF vs AFS: Tracking & Speed Difference

Post by bill407 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 am

Do these 2 models have the same tracking and speed or is the AF better than the AFS?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:06 am

They are exactly the same. The only differences are:

1. The Sport has a larger cockpit opening.
2. The sport has one main chamber, the Advanced Frame has two

Width, Length, Fin and materials are the same

bill407

Post by bill407 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:00 am

OK, can you tell me about how much faster is the AF compared to the Firefly and Lagoon1 models?

And what is the maximum recommended user height for the AF, Firefly, and Lagoon1 models?

Thanks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 am

The longer the kayak, the faster the speed and the better the tracking.
1. Firefly is more entry level. It is comprised of two layers of material, and has an inflatable floor which is welded to the main chamber. It has no seat.
2. Lagoon is a step above that. It is comprised of three layers of material. The floor is foam and has an inlfatble seat. It has rigid plastic forms in the bow and stern.
3. The Advanced Frame is the next level. More for the serious paddler but easy enough for a beginner. Three layers of material. Inflatable floor. Aluminum ribs in the bow and stern to help with better tracking and to slice through the water.

I am 6'2" and can paddle all three. The firefly is small and tight for me and I have to bend my knees quite a bit.
The Lagoon is a little more roomier but I too have to paddle with my knees fairly bent.
The Advanced Frame has the most room out of the three being it is the longest. I can straighten out my legs but my feet are pressed hard against the front.
Anyone taller than 6'2" should look into the Advanced Frame Expedition or paddling the Advanced Frame Convertible solo.

bill407

Post by bill407 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 am

OK, can you give me your best guess on how long it would take you to paddle 1 mile in a calm slow river (1mph flow upstream) with all 3 of them?

Thanks.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am

bill407, I can take the point on this one.
I've paddled both the Lagoon and the AdvancedFrame, and done time trials with my friend on flatwater and in modest current.
Our opinion is that the AF goes a little faster than the Lagoon. My cruising speed in the Lagoon is 4 kilometres an hour, and my friend's cruising speed in his AF is 5 or maybe 6. In my Expedition I cruise at 6 kilometres an hour if there's no wind.
I've paddled all three models upstream against a very modest current. The Lagoon is surprisingly good at this because it doesn't have much drag. It's so light, I just do lots of short fast strokes and it gets upstream okay. Feels like doing a two hundred yard dash at a sprint! I also took the Expedition up-river for a mile against current during my camping trip on the Red Deer River (see it on the Trips forum).
My guess is that for me, to go a mile upstream against a 1mph current, it would take me under an hour in any of these models. Half an hour in an Expedition, forty-five minutes in an AdvancedFrame or a Lagoon. Your speed will vary -- I'm a little woman, but my endurance keeps me paddling long after my big male friends.