Advancedframe convertible vs AdvancedFrame (single)

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

siner74

Advancedframe convertible vs AdvancedFrame (single)

Post by siner74 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi

I am looking for a foldable/inflatable kayak primarly for fishing (ocean and inland lakes) and touring (usually not more than a few hours). Most of the time I will be on my own, but sometimes I would like to bring my wife or a friend.

I am not a small guy (193cm & 105kilo) but I am told that I would be fine in an Advancedframe and similar kayaks.

I had more or less decided on a AF Convertible, but then I hear that I should rather go for the single edition, and then rather buy two if I want to bring anybody. Also, a reseller told me that there is more problems/complaints about the convertible than the single edition. It is more difficult to inflate, deflate and get back into the bag.

Please advice? Is the reseller correct, and do you think the AF Convertible seem to be a god choice, or should I rethink (perhaps buy two AF single edition, or another type of kayak. I would think that tracking ability and speed should be at least as good with the convertible as the other models.

Thanks

E.

Ryker

AFC vs. AFE

Post by Ryker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm about 3cm shorter and 3kg lighter and am mulling over a similar decision. I currently have an AF 10.5 and it works well 95% of the time when I'm single. But now that people realize I'm hooked on kayaking, they are wanting to come along for a ride, especially the grandkids.

Based on many posts here and other places, I don't believe the extra 4.5 feet or 20 pounds is going to make much difference solo, and may even be a little faster. And the Convertible has got to be a lot easier to get my creaky, stiff bones into than a 10.5 or Expedition cockpit.

So, sometime in the next few weeks or so, I'm going to sell the 10.5 and buy a Convertible. Don't know if this helps your decision, but.........

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:48 pm

With a Convertible, you may want the backbone. It sounds like you are a big guy and carrying the extra weight might not be a problem.
You could also try the sit-on-top StraitEdge2. It's convertible from a single paddler to two paddlers, and it weighs less than the Convertible. It's also 13 feet long instead of 15 feet and doesn't need a backbone.
Do you have a local paddle store? Ask if they carry Advanced Elements kayaks. Most paddle stores will let you try a boat and see if you like it.

siner74

What (if any) are the benefits of straightedge2?

Post by siner74 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Yes, I was planning on getting backbone as well. I have not read much about the straightedge canoe/kayak. What would be the benefits compared to the AF Convertible?
Is it just a matter of personal taste?

Thanks.

E