Dragonfly keeping up with Advanced Frame

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Glacier

Dragonfly keeping up with Advanced Frame

Post by Glacier » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:17 am

We recently purchased two Advanced Frame Single Kayaks. We haven't been out on them and are very excited to try them when the weather finally gets warmer (which hopefully will be soon).

REI has the Dragonfly XC on sale and we are considering purchasing two of them to use when our daughters are home from college or if we would like to go out with other people.

I am concerned that the Dragonflys will not be able to keep up with the Advanced Frames. Should we wait until we can afford two more Advanced Frames?

We will be using them on small lakes and quiet bays and occasionally on rivers.

Would appreciated any advice from those who have both! Thanks

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:33 pm

The Dragonfly kayaks will at top speed will travel at about 2/3 the speed of the AdvancedFrame 10.5 -- you may not notice the difference until you have a race.
The Dragonfly or Lagoon as it's now called is fun to handle, easy to carry and inflate, and for beginners is almost as "fast" as a 10.5 so I recommend buying them. They're sold at a lower price, too! And I like the low weight, which is easy for me to handle both inflated and folded up in its bag.
When you're taking beginners out, remember that these are all Real Boats and can get you out into Real Trouble, like currents and storms etc. Be sure you've each got a life jacket or PFD on, and each has a rope (ideally coiled in a throw bag) and a bailer or water pump.
I like to take my beginner friends to a shallow beach and have fun tipping over on purpose to see just how hard it is to make these kayaks tip over. Then we practise climbing back in. Sorry to nag, but I like to do safety things for fun so that we are much less likely to have an accident.

Glacier

Post by Glacier » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:49 am

We had our first trip out with two Advanced Frames and two Dragonfly XC kayaks. Unfortunately, we are returning the Dragonflys for two more Advanced Frames.

We started out on a calm lake with our two daughters (both in their early 20's) in the Dragonflys and they had a very difficult time keeping up with us in our Advanced Frames and we noticed the speed difference immediately. Toward the end of our outing we switched kayaks and we had the same problem. It was exhausting trying to keep up even when we were going slow. Since they spent more time in the Dragonflies they were very sore the next day - we had no problems with soreness from using the Advanced Frames.

For our needs - mostly on calm lakes - we will stick with the Advanced Frames. We wanted to love the Dragonflies but feel it is just too much effort to keep up and everyone would always be fighting over who was in the larger kayak. The poor tracking of the Dragonfly seems to cause the soreness as they don't glide but zig and zag. We knew this before purchasing but didn't realize what a difference in would make in stamina of the person in the Dragonfly.

The Dragonflies are definitely a great option but not if you're trying to keep up with the Advanced Frames. We have fallen in love with the Advanced Frames and will report more later after a few more outings!