AE AdvancedFrame vs. Stearns Yukatat vs. Sevylor Pointer K1

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Typhon

AE AdvancedFrame vs. Stearns Yukatat vs. Sevylor Pointer K1

Post by Typhon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 am

Hello, and First Post. I’m trying to collect as much information as possible before making a purchase. AE products have the most information online, but it is harder to find information about their competitors; so here is to hoping a couple of you have had experience with other inflatable kayaks and a willingness to share.

Goal:
My Wife and I are looking into getting a couple of Kayaks to expand our Outdoor interactions. Budget is $500

Restrictions:
Storage is an issue, hence exploring the inflatable options.

In the past we have rented a 2 person kayak, and didn't really like the “talk to the back of my headâ€￾ experience. We also borrowed 2 small single person kayaks and really enjoyed the freedom that came with that.

We are not into extreme sports and haven’t considered white water kayaking. We live in Central Ohio, and would mostly explore lakes, and calm rivers. But we also take a yearly trip to Tybee Island Georgia which has the Atlantic Ocean and an abundance of Coastal Waterways.

Possible Purchases:
I like what I have read about AE AdvancedFrame, but the cost is prohibitive. My budget is $500 total for everything.
Length - 10'5"
Width - 34"
Weight - 36 lbs.
Load - 300 lbs.
Price - $400

I had considered stepping down to a close out Model DragonFly:
http://www.airkayaks.com/ae1021.html?gc ... 5QodPnlYkA
Length - 8'4"
Width - 34"
Weight - 19 lbs.
Load - 250 lbs.
Price - $200
but wasn’t excited with this 8’4â€￾ small boat. (At 6’0â€￾ 220 + gear I’m guessing I could max this little guy out.)

Next Item I looked at was the STEARNS YUKATAT:
http://www.amazon.com/Stearns-B523YEL-0 ... B000NVDFWG
Length - 10'4"
Width - 32"
Weight - 31 lbs.
Load - 300 lbs.
Price - $320
On the surface it looks a lot closer to the AdvancedFrame I was hoping to get, at a little lower price. (But still over budget.)

I also ran across Sevylor Pointer K1
http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store-p ... 19067.html
Length - 10'
Width - 32"
Weight - 28 lbs.
Load - 300 lbs.
Price - $235
Again on the surface seems to compare closely to the Advanced Frame and within my Budget. I had all but convinced myself this was the boat to get till I noticed the cheap price was out of Stock. Err.

I have also found a craigslist that had 2x 2005 AdvancedFrame models for $400, but have not heard back from the OP (Original Poster) after a week. I’m thinking at that price they prolly went pretty quick.

Help:
Do you guys/gals have any advice on the different models I’ve been looking at? Any other suggestions? What am I missing that make the competitions kayaks cheaper? With only $500 to spend is kayaking to expensive of a hobby for us?

Thanks,
Ty

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:08 am

Ty,

This may sound a little biased but I will break down a few things for you.

1. Yukatat and Pointer K1 are basically knockoffs of the Advanced Frame. Both were created long after the Advanced Frame was.
2. Stearns bought Sevylor. Coleman bought Stearns. Coleman no longer makes the Stearns kayaks and customer service as well as replacement parts are nil. Coleman has continued to make the Pointer K1 and the Sevylor Tahiti. Same issue with customer service I have heard from retailers we sell to.
3. Construction of both models is nowhere near the Advanced Frame and as far as the Pointer K1 goes, the outer skin is very flappy and wrinkled.

Basically what I can tell you is buyer beware. You may think that my opinions are biased because I am with Advanced Elements but I feel that truthfully you would be sorry with the purchase of either of the other models. I am not sure how many have paddled the other models and switched over to the Advanced Frame or how many have Advanced Frames and have had the opportunity to try one of the other models but I hope those that have done either can also respond.

I guess getting two Advanced Frames in your budget is just a matter of keeping your eyes and ears open for possible deals. Here is a list of places to check for deals.

www.airkayaks.com - sometimes gets demo models in
www.rei.com - some stores have "garage sales" which you can pickup a perfectly good, maybe not even used, kayak for cheap.
www.craigslist.com - You already no about this
www.ebay.com - maybe a deal?
www.amazon.com - sometimes will post them on sale
Posting here on the forum to see if anyone is selling there kayaks

This is just a few places to check. Hopefully this has been a little helpful.

Jeremy
Last edited by JCOOLEY on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typhon

Post by Typhon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeremy.

I would love to still hear from more owners. I think the best thing we can do is to see if we can get a test/trail use of them to see if it will really work for us.

I've been scouring the internt for the last 2 weeks so far:
www.airkayaks.com -- demo models were listed at 369, x2 is still well over budeget.
www.rei.com -- no REI in ohio. boo, I've heard great things about this store
www.craigslist.com - You already know about this -- true
www.ebay.com -- been swamped with over 400 dollar models after shipping.
www.amazon.com - sometimes will post them on sale -- not in the last 2 weeks they havn't.

I'll keep looking to see if I can That super sweet deal.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:10 am

Hi,

Sometimes you have to invest, but you will earn it back. It's pretty simple. If you go for the cheaper models you will get problems with them very quickly (my dad, wanted to go with the sevylor because the price, but after I ran into serveral reviews with problems with the stitching etc. I conviced him out of it). The place I bought the AE Frame did sell the sevylor, but they say the same thing as I read manytimes. If you really can't buy AE then you might consider them. However in the long run you might be off more expensive (repairs, replacements over time).

I did take a look at the sevylor and it is pretty clear everything is less. Just compare it with the cheap nockoff cars they make in China. Do you really want a China BMW nock-off. Or rather the one that comes from Germany?

I really think you will have a great time in the Frame then in those cheaper models. You want to experience hassle free kayaking? Then you choose the Frame.

Typhon

Post by Typhon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:24 pm

So...diemonde, have you ridden in one of the "knock-offs"?

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:12 am

I compared the Sevylor with the AE in the shop. I looked at the materials, sat in them and by doing that I really knew enough.

But if you want to know more just check this out:
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/sevy ... ak-reviews

and then

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/adva ... ak-reviews

MDO

Settled for AE

Post by MDO » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:13 am

For the record - I shopped around, googled, researched prices, and in the end settled for one 10.5 Advanced Frame. Got an excellent deal form AIRKAYAKS.com

I was so thrilled with it, that eventhough we had used up our entire budget (we were looking for 2 kayaks) on the one, we decided to see if airkayaks had another deal, just in case. They did.... and now we also own an Expedition as well (well, VISA owns it I suppose).

We are thrilled with the boats; as I understand it, these will withstand longer use, bigger waters, and more gear carrying better than the other kayaks you mentionned.

Typhon

Post by Typhon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:30 am

Thanks MDO. I feel like we are in a similar boat (pun intended) Doing internet research everything points to Advanced Frame, 'cept for the price.

Still hoping to hear from anyone who has actually ridden in the knock off brands.

diemonde - I just saw that Dicks' Sporting Goods offers both Kayak's, I think I will check in there and see if I can sit in both. That should (like you) give me enough hands on experience to support getting the more expensive boat or not.

Was there something in particular that you wanted me to notice from the reviews you sent? There was only one review for the AE, and even though the rater gave it a higher rating, he pretty much commented the same pluses and flaws as the Sevylor Pointer K1 received.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:43 am

Sorry, check
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/adva ... RlPWZhbHNl

The reviews helped me a lot. It's just to give you some more reviews (that is what you are looking for so).

I really would encourage you to go to that shop and sit in them both. Feel the fabric etc.

KayakJack

feel the material and construction.

Post by KayakJack » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:05 pm

I was at Campmor and felt the quality of the Pointer vs the AE. The material on the pointer (top fabric) is a whole lot thinner. If you're planning to be in the sun much and in salt water - this will eventually be an issue and wear down faster.
Typhon wrote:Thanks MDO. I feel like we are in a similar boat (pun intended) Doing internet research everything points to Advanced Frame, 'cept for the price.

Still hoping to hear from anyone who has actually ridden in the knock off brands.

diemonde - I just saw that Dicks' Sporting Goods offers both Kayak's, I think I will check in there and see if I can sit in both. That should (like you) give me enough hands on experience to support getting the more expensive boat or not.

Was there something in particular that you wanted me to notice from the reviews you sent? There was only one review for the AE, and even though the rater gave it a higher rating, he pretty much commented the same pluses and flaws as the Sevylor Pointer K1 received.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 am

Sorry gang, I was having an off day when I posted my original response. I had originally typed that Campmor had bought Stearns but what I meant to say was that Coleman was the one who bought them. I edited it so that it reads correctly now.

Jeremy

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Typhoon. I've tried all 3 of the kayaks you mention. The AE is the best of the bunch, the Yukatat is close (but lacks a skeg and suffers from tracking) and the K1 is...okay, but I doubt one will last more than a couple years use.

Typhon

Post by Typhon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:32 pm

paddlesheep wrote:Hi Typhon. I've tried all 3 of the kayaks you mention. The AE is the best of the bunch, the Yukatat is close (but lacks a skeg and suffers from tracking) and the K1 is...okay, but I doubt one will last more than a couple years use.
Thanks paddlesheep. Now to find 2 in my price range. :)

newbienick

Post by newbienick » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:06 am

Typhon,

When I got into this sport, I was in the same position as you. I had a very limited budget, but wanted to get something that I wouldn't have to replace in a year or two. In the end, I found a riduculous deal on the firefly model (by way of an online retailer that was selling at the wrong price) which is very similiar to the dragonfly/lagoon that you are considering. What really sold me on Advanced Elements, though, is the very reason that you are here. There is so much information out there for these Kayaks, and upon finding this forum, it really ended all competition for me. Jeremy replies to everyone that comes here. Forget the price of the kayaks, you can't buy that kind of excellent customer service from any other retailer. the simple fact that I can come here and ask questions to everyone about my new boat was enough to sell it for me. PHJohanson taught me via these forums how to get in and out of my Kayak without letting water spill in (I am also a 220 LB guy, so I am at the top end of the wieght limit on mine). Jeremy taught me the difference between the various models I was interested in. Again, it all goes back to service. I bought a kayak, and with it came a support group of owners that can answer my questions via this forum.

Now, to address your concerns on the small Dragonfly closeout. I have the firefly, which is not the EXACT same as the Dragonfly, but it fairly close. I feel that since you and I are both tall and over 200 LBS, I can speak for what experience you may have. First off, I love the firefly so far. I have not yet done any rivers or rapids in it yet, but I usually take it out on lakes. My favorite lake behind my home has a wide creek that flows into it, so I go down that from time to time as well.

I really enjoy the kayak. Moving through the open lake is sometimes a little difficult. The boat is sluggish for me. Maybe it is because I weigh so much, maybe it is because I need a longer paddle, I am not sure exactly. I can tell you that it is tough to move accross the largest open part of the lake, and I would definately not win any races in the Firefly. Nothing like a hard shell as far as tracking goes. However, it moves smoothly, turns on a dime, is super easy to control, and is 100 times more comfortable than any hardshell I have sat it. There is some room for gear, but don't expect to pack for overnight camping in the smaller models.

Now, about that creek that feeds into the lake. Once I get into there, the firefly moves like a BEAST. It is much faster, and actually paddles better than the hardshells I have taken back there. This is why I can't wait to take it on a river. It just seems to move faster and better in a smaller waterway than the open lake.

In any case, my experience has led me to have alot of confidence in AE, and I am hoping someday to upgrade to one of their AF models. Yes, they are pricey boats if you are on a budget like I was, but then again, (as all of my kayaking friends tell me) if money is a problem, you are looking at the wrong hobby. Seriously, though, I spent all summer looking at kayaks, hard shells and inflatables, and when you toss out the cheap lesser known manufacturers, AE are competitive priced among the Kayaking world.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Typhon

Post by Typhon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:02 pm

I got my Kayaks!

$200 Advanced Frame Model AE1012
$240 Advanced Frame Model AE1002

$015 2x Adjustable Double-Bladed Kayak Paddle
$035 Stearns Life Jacket Preserver Adult Large
$035 Stearns Life Jacket Preserver Adult X-Large

$525 Total - Just slighly overbudget. And a great Christmas gift for us.

I would appreciate a little help in learning the difference between the two models. The biggest one I have noticed is the appearent missing of the plastic bow and stern inserts. anything else I should be aware of?

newbienick - Wow, thank for the detailed post. As you can see I went with the AF's, though it's a bit chilly here in Central Ohio to go plopping them in the water for a test run.

Ty