Should I get an Expedition?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

paulrb02

Should I get an Expedition?

Post by paulrb02 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:17 am

I am trying to get some reviews and some opinions from people who have used the advanced frame in less than ideal waterways for inflatable kayaks. I will be exploring creeks and rivers that will have trees at, or under the water line, and knowing me I'll probably run into them. Also there is a high chance of normal debris with sharp edges. How well does the hull hold up to these kind of conditions. I know there are 3 layers to puncture the main tube, but I'm kinda more worried about running the bottom against something. Not that I will be aiming to hit something, just from my rental experience, it will probably happen a good bit.

A little about my self. I am 5'10 about 260lbs(and dropping) and I have always wanted to kayak, seems like a thing I would really like. I have been renting a kayak from a local store, a Pelican pursuit 100. The boat doesn't track very well and is really tippy, but I really enjoy being out on the water, so I have decided I am going to go ahead and buy my own kayak. I am looking at the advanced frame expedition right now. My only concern is running the yak into something and ripping the hull. I like the idea of having an inflatable as I travel alot(by car) and a kayak on top the car for 6 hour road trips "just in case I feel like kayaking" seems like a bad idea. I have a Honda Element so I can put a hard shell up there, but I don't think it will be ideal for me. I live on the gulf coast and will be exploring more coastal areas(if there isn't any oil of course), and will be traveling to inland water very often. I wanted to get some of your opinions on the matter and maybe some "pushes" in the right direction. Thanks in advanced for the help, or atleast looking at the post.

monamart

Re: Should I get an Expedition?

Post by monamart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:15 am

Hello, I have an AF2, and I have paddled in Christmas bay where there are plenty of shellfish to cut your kayak, and so far I have nod had any problems at all.. I just make sure to go very slow when I see a piece of wood or a rock close to the edge of the water.. so far it has held nicely.

I also have a Pursuit 100, and like it very much.. but just the fact that you can fold and take your Kayak in a bag is priceless.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am

I have some limited experience in shallow parts of rivers in the pine barrens of NJ. I have to admit I also have some of the same worries about finding a sharp stick or rock the hard way. I've seen some stuff just above the surface so I have to guess there could be some just below too.

So far we have been good going slow and keeping our eyes on the water in front of us and go slow when approaching downed trees or other debris. Our boat (AF convertible) seems to only require about a foot of water to skate by something with 2 people on board.

If just the bottom tears it will allow water into the passenger compartment so your butt will be wet but the main air chambers on the sides will still be in tact. The worst case would be if a stick or rock come through the floor and got into the side tube (through all 3 layers) but I'm hoping to not find that kind of bad luck out on the water :(

We keep a product called Tear-aid on board to make a temporary patch. We also carry a foot pump behind the seat. Some have said that tear-aid "type A" is good for quick temporary patches just to get you home. It's not the official product for a permanent repair (type "B" or the AE patch kit is) but the "type A" works like a piece of tape just to get you home. I suppose duct tape might be another trick too but you'd have some tape glue residue to get off after you get home.
Last edited by MikeSue on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

monamart

Post by monamart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Yes definetelly bring a foot pump with you and a water pump.. and thanks for that tip on the Tear-aid.. I usually carry duct tape with me and the repair kit from AE. I imagine this should do the trick if an emergency arises..

Mario

paulrb02

Post by paulrb02 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 am

Thanks for the advice, I will be ordering my kayak with some tare-aid

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 am

Yes, as MikeSue says, if you make a quick repair with duct tape you will have to remember to get the tape residue off afterwards. The glue on duct tape is not good for these surfaces.