Replacing an Inflation Tube

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jamesckeenan

Replacing an Inflation Tube

Post by jamesckeenan » Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm

I had a pinhole leak in the lower port inflation tube of my AE airfusion. As reported elsewhere, I paddled with the leak -- inflating the tube before launching knowing that it would deflate -- with no real problems either with safety or paddling reliability, e.g., tracking, even on a couple of river outings. But, I ordered the replacement tube, which AE sent promptly, and today was the day to fix it. It took me about an hour, although I'm sure those handier than I could do it in half that time. AE sent a five-point installation procedure, which I will not repeat here, but I will add a tip. AE's 3. says to "use your #4 and #5 poles to insert the new tube into the white tube cover. They have thoughtfully added a hole at the end of the new tube to insert the poles into, but it is easier to make a small "pocket" using the hole and some tape; I tried first to just put the poles into the hole, but as I pushed on the poles, the hole just rode up the pole, so this step took me a couple of tries. I am not particularly handy, so I faced this with some trepidation, but it proved to be a simple fix, and I appreciate the advice I got from AE. If I were going on a lengthy trip, I think I would order a spare inflation tube. I like knowing that everything on the airfusion is repairable, in a pinch.