AF Elite impossible to set up straight

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Srivo

AF Elite impossible to set up straight

Post by Srivo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 am

I've god an AF elite and I am happy with it except for one important thing. I am not able to set it up straight/symmetrically! It is annoyingly turning to one side! I tried to find some tips here but can't see anything that helps. I checked various times the whole set up, pole and chamber positions, Velcro line up etc. and after about 30 try's I can't think of anything else to do. I would be glad for some help and I really think that AE have still some work to do to make the set up impossible to go wrong. For example- thwarts with a shape where the pole and air chambers fit into- so that wrong set up is impossible, Air chamber ends in the same shape as bow and stern etc.
Otherwise the Kayak is great!
Thanks for any tips, better instructions and pictures of how to set up right!

lee johnson

Post by lee johnson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:24 pm

I had my Elite out on the water again for several happy hours today. It handled extremely large waves very well and tracked like a top-flight hard-shell. Let me know more details of your alignment of the velcro patches. That seems to be the key to straightening things out. Also, the thwarts.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Tron,

Your post was deleted because your suggested tube fix is not one we can recommend as it may result in damage to your tubes.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I wonder if posting a video here would help. Some people learn by watching better than by reading. Maybe Lee can show how he sets up his Elite straight, and show what he means about checking the Velcro alignment.

chrizhh

Post by chrizhh » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:55 am

I recently bought the classic arifusion and i am having the same problem. i set up the kayak 5-6 times now and used it for some tours, its an excellent kayak but i cant set it up straight. as is see it, you cant do so much wrong in setting up the kayak, as the side tubes have velcros on them and the inner skin also has velcro so the two are supposed to fit together there. i just dont know in the rear end and the front end, there is also velcro on the inner tubes and i dont know if you are supposed to fit both inner tubes together around the U-form poles or try to keep them apart?
anyways.. everytime i set up the kayak, the rear end cap is always leaning to one side, dont know now if its right or left. but if i attach the the skeg, of course its not straight..so that really sucks. i hope someone can try and help me or has some tipps as to what i can change. the thwarts are always perfectly alligned on the floor etc. i dont know what to do anymore.