Air leak in gunwhale, or top tube

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jamesckeenan

Air leak in gunwhale, or top tube

Post by jamesckeenan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:01 pm

I love my Air Fusion original and have gotten great help from Advanced Elements when needed. I have paddled for some time now with a gunwhale, or top tube, that deflates within minutes of filling. It doesn't affect my paddling, but It would be easier to get in and out of if the gunwhale stayed inflated. I would also like to add a sprayskirt. Does anyone have an easy way to find the leak without having to submerge the gunwhale, which is hard to do indoors, in winter? Thanks! Jim Keenan

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 am

Best way to test it, without submerging, would be to pull the tube out of the kayak and inflate it. Then try and listen for the leak. If the tube is deflating that fast, you should be able to hear an audible hissing. I would check the ends of the tube specifically because that is where the main welded tube seams are.

If you do have the original Fusion, repair may not be possible because of the original tube sleeve design. If you can't access the leak, you'll need a replacement tube.

JimD

Post by JimD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 am

if you can't submerge it completely, try brushing a soap solution onto it, the soap makes sure any leaks show up as bubbles. Don't assume there's only one either, check the full thing. You'll need to clean it thoroughly before gluing a patch on, but you'd need to do that anyway. Good luck