Seat won't stay put

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bradpittshinesmyshoes

Seat won't stay put

Post by bradpittshinesmyshoes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:19 am

I just got the Airfusion and wow - it's great. Took her out for her maiden voyage on fairly choppy waters of NY harbor (my 1st time in saltwater) and she performed nicely.

I found a comfortable seating position for my 6'1" frame with the front thwart about 6" forward and front edge of the seat at the #4/#5 poles alignment lines.

One problem I encountered was that the seat bottom kept creeping forward - resulting in the back reclining.

Once, when attempting to adjusting the seat, a wave caught me off guard and capsized me about 300 yards offshore. I haven't developed a self-rescue skill yet so I had to swim back to shore with the boat...not much fun.

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the seat bottom in place?
Thanks.

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:05 am

I have never had that problem before.

Make sure the straps are taught including the straps on the back on the seat.

With the two sets of straps properly adjusted your seat should not move.

Play around with the tension on the seat and see if that helps

-Micah

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 am

The seat DOES move. That is because it's not fixed in position at the bottom.
The top back part stays put, but the bottom part slide forward. Of course this happens because of bad posture. But with tour kayaking it's impossible to sit upright all the time unless the seat forces you. The FUS' seat doesn't force you.

So you need to fixate the bottom part. Mainly to avoid forward motion.
I am working on a solution and will post when ready.

Tee

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 am

Took the Fusion out for a paddle yesterday and the seat bottom didn't move at all. The key is press your lower back into the seat then sit upright. This will keep the seat stationary. If you recline against the seat, then it will slide under you.

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Fully agree.

Reclining though will happen on longer journeys. And getting the seat back is nearly impossible (only ashore).

I call this the maneuverability inside the cockpit. After a long time you want to stretch/move/relax, then go back to the correct position.

So far the seat will not let you do this without penalty.

Easy fix though. Will post it soon.

Tee

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:40 pm

You capsized? That must have been annoying! You're lucky you were able to swim.
I hope you will take some time to try capsizing again on purpose, in safe conditions. Maybe you'll be at a beach with friends, maybe in a pool when the local kayak club rents the pool for rolling practise.
It's really important to get some idea of whether it's possible at all to do a wet re-entry into your kayak. My friends and I took some lessons (cheap, fun, and useful!) and watched some videos, and now we do safety practise at a particular lake we like. (One of us brings a little camp stove and we can have hot drinks after coming ashore and drying off.)
By doing these practises, I've learned that to climb back into my Lagoon or Expedition, I have to climb over the bow. If I climb over the side, the kayak flips upside-down. For the Fusion, you might want to try using a paddle float during your re-entry and see if that helps.

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Wed May 16, 2012 4:42 pm

As high as my kayak floats, I doubt I'd be able to get back in, but I was going to suggest that rather than carrying a stove, I might want to carry a thermos of hot coffee or tea or cocoa. I remember on a canoeing trip, when we got to one of our goal rivers after 5 blustery days, someone pulled out a thermos with tea. I didn't get much, but I had a cute little cup of tea and no tea has ever tasted better.

Now you have me thinking about taking this boat to one of our pool sessions. I recently started to do a paddle float reentry during one of our pool sessions. Our coach came up and wanted me to do an assisted rescue. I told him I've never been able to do one of those, but that I've been ok at paddle float reentries. He kept trying to get me to do an assisted reentry and they never worked, but once he got occupied trying to fix something, I got my paddle wedged in the bungies, and the next thing he knew, I was back in my boat. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. In some ways, I think the plan of swimming to shore would be better... .

Pringles

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 pm

Well, to be honest I didn't post a solution any time soon...
But after abandoning the Velcro option, I am using the following fix:

I made two holes on the aft side of the seat just below the zipper line. Both holes are mirror distance from the center. I use these small holes to put a cord through making a knot on the inside of the seat. Now this rope-handle is attached to a carabiner that in turn is attached to the Velcro floor attachment of the bottom pole (between the seat and the rear thwart). This way the seat can not move forward.

I use it with success. Easy fix.

I'll post a picture soon...

Tee

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Ok, here some pics on the seat modification.
I used to hard plastic square 'rings' so not to rip through the wholes. It's actually from a digital camera battery pack protection... which actually lasts long.

Tee