New to Kayaks

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Mattj

New to Kayaks

Post by Mattj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:12 am

Hi all. Do to sickness, I have spent the better part of 5 years in bed. Now I can get out again. I just bought the Advanced Frame Convertible. I have limited storage space, and I don't have the ability to put a rack on my car, so I was glad that there was an option for me. I think the kayak looks good and is easy to set up. I've taken it out one time so far. I'm a heavy guy at 320 lbs. I liked the fact that the max passenger capacity for this kayak is 500 lbs. When I got in the water, however, the kayak looked more like a banana and it paddled like a non-greased pig. I called the support line and they said it was not pumped up enough, but I am worried about damaging the tubes. When I was in the water, the waterline in the middle was above the "red". I'm getting another pressure gauge, as the one in my pump was acting a little weird. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I know I weigh way too much (that is part of the reason I bought the kayak) but is it possible that I can sit in a non-banana boat and have all this fun that people are talking about? How firm will the main tubes feel like at 2 psi?

For example in this post here:
http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1437
The gentleman looks like he is bowing the kayak down too much. As mentioned, for me it was above the "red". Does this picture show how it is supposed to look, or is this kayak not inflated enough?

To improve the rigidity I've ordered a BB so hopefully that will help as well.

Thanks for all the great info in these forums. I can't wait to go out on the water again.

marc.cardwell

Post by marc.cardwell » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:11 pm

hey! good luck to you! i've seen the pic you linked to, in fact, i knew what it was before i clicked on the link. i think some of she we see there is the discrepancy between the man and his grand-daughter, and the fact that this boat is so long. i wonder if the same would happen w/ the single version of this boat?

for inflation, i've never measured it, i just inflate the two main valves, hoist up one end to see if it tacos, and go from there. i do take into account heat and sun: if it;s hot and sunny, i don't inflate so much. cooler and cloudy, i'm not as concerned.

anyway, i can't imagine what you've been through being in bed sick so long. i really, genuinlly wish you health and happiness.

where do you live?

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Firstly , i too i wish you better health and lots of paddling fun the coming years.
I usually go for around 2.3 psi on the inline gauge and have also been using the backbone which due to the fact that it presses against either end using the air pressure , with two spade like end pieces , works as a bridge and makes the kayak a lot stiffer .

Mattj

Post by Mattj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies fellow 'yakkers. :) I'm looking forward to the summer days.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Check that the kayak is fully inflated, eh? And the backbone should help. And even if the kayak is a little bent, if it's still floating, go for it! Cheers.