Hello

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

weypaddler

Hello

Post by weypaddler » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:43 am

Hi just introducing myself. I'm from surrey, England and my family (husband, son, me) have just become the proud owners of three advanced frame kayaks. We've taken them on one successful trip so far (just a short paddle on a local river) and hope to get out paddling several times this summer.

We've got a trip to the Ardeche Gorge (France) planned for this summer and are wondering whether to take our own kayaks with us, or whether to hire the plastic sit on tops that most people use. Do you think the advanced frames would withstand the odd collision with a rock or would re risk ruining them in their first summer? Looking at You Tube videos it seems as though there are a lot of collisions on the rapids - partly because of the number of inexperienced tourists trying to make it down the river. Apparently, the maximum grading of the water is 2 - but that obviously depends on conditions to some extent. Anyone on this forum been there themselves?

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 am

Welcome to the group! Have never been there myself, but The AdvancedFrame can take quite a beating and its rated to Class 2, so you should be fine.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:45 am

Your trip to the Ardeche Gorge sounds great! I'd love to do that river run some day. Hope you'll do some reading up on the river before you go, and pick up a map to study like this one: http://www.canotier.com/francais/eau-ca ... aume-ligne/

Please tell the forum about your trip afterwards by posting a note on the Stories or Trips section, okay? Even if you end up renting kayaks. I'd use my own inflatable there.