Paddle float???

AE5005 UltraLite Pack Paddle, AE2024 Packlight Paddle, AE2015 Touring Paddle, AE2034 Attack Whitewater Paddle, AE2035 Carbon Fiber Paddle, AE2030 Axis 230 Paddle, AE2028 Twilight Travel Paddle, AE2051 Orbit Paddle

Moderator: JCOOLEY

MDO

Paddle float???

Post by MDO » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:45 am

I have the 4-part aluminum paddles for both our AE kayaks. It occured to me this morning as I paddled in nearby lake, that is the paddle that I had rested crosswise accidently rolled over, it would sink to the bottom of the lake... What does everyon do to prevent this??

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:10 pm

The paddles typically have real or fake cork pieces in the shafts that keep them afloat. Next time you are out paddling, when you go to push off shore, while you are in shallow water, drop your paddle in to test it. Some people use paddle leashes and connect it to their kayak.

Jeremy

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Make a paddle leash for your paddle! It's way cheaper than buying the expensive coiled leashes with velcro and fasteners. Buy a length of cord at a hardware store or a kayak&canoe store. Tie one end to the paddle and the other to a deck bungee.
Use a knot you can untie with one hand. I use a clovehitch. My leash is five metres long (about 5 yards). I double it, tie the middle to the paddle and the ends to the deck bungee. That way, there's lots of cord to tie a knot, maybe an extra half hitch at each end. And if I have to use my leash for something else, it's long enough to be useful, not just four or five feet long.
The idea of a leash is so that if you fall out of the boat, the paddle & kayak stay together and you only have to hang on to the boat.

MDO

Paddle & safety

Post by MDO » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I realized today that indeed, the metal paddle floats!

I like the string idea, I'll have to try that.

One precaution we do have now is a small extra paddle on board.

Cheers,

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm

For a paddle leash, you can use a coiled telephone chord or something similar. Put a D clip (Carabiner) at one end, fold the chord over and use a cable tie to fasten the end of the chord. Do the same at the paddle shaft and you have a flexible friend. The coiled leash just keeps it out of the way.

If you ever capsize, hold onto the paddle and you have your yak!

All my fishing gear is fastened onto the yak with coiled leashes - leash it or lose it!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 am

The idea of holding onto the paddle if you fall out and your boat will stay with you too doesn't always work.
My friend Dennis was kayak surfing at Sombrio Beach, and tipped over. The wave filled his AdvancedFrame kayak, and pulled it away from him. Dennis kept a grip on his paddle, but the leash snapped.
Dennis says to keep a grip on your boat, and let the leash keep your paddle with the boat.
(He did manage to get his kayak back, but it took a little swimming to do so.)

sonar

Post by sonar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Just been reading through the paddle section.

The question is do you leash your paddle to your Kayak
or leash it to your wrist.

I have in the past be doing both what would the disadvantages be with either method.

Or indeed both.?????

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Oh yes, there ARE disadvantages to having a paddle leash. A guide here in Victoria was teaching a class on techniques to use in surf, when someone flipped over. The paddle leash wrapped around the person's body and took a couple minutes to untangle. Neither the guide nor the tangled person had a knife to cut the leash. The guide was horrified at what would have happened if the leash had tangled around the paddler's neck!
Clearly, a kayaker has to look at local conditions and decide whether it's safe to use a paddle leash that day. Whitewater paddling -- probably not. Bring spare paddles instead.
For me, I'm usually on flat water with a slight current, so I use a paddle leash most days. I tie the leash to the boat, NOT to me. I also carry a small knife, and so does my partner.