Backbone length

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Dehno

Backbone length

Post by Dehno » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:50 pm

I recently purchased an Advanced Frame 10.5 and a backbone to go with it (I thought) at a dealer in the US. After numerous attempts to install the backbone, after watching the video, as well it just seemed to be way to long for the boat. With all 5 of the backbone components connected together, and laying on top of the fully inflated kayak, it reaches from bow to stern (125"). Looking at your website, the "proper" backbone for this boat should be 79.5" in length, which seems right when watching the video instructions. I believe I have the backbone that is designed for the Convertible model, which the website states is 126.5" in length. As I'm now some 9000miles away from the dealer I bought the boat and backbone from, taking it back for exchange is not an option. Are any of the 5 components I currently have, for the Convertible model interchangeable with the components needed for the backbone I need. Can I just replace the center piece with a shorter one required, rather than having to by a complete new assembly?

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Have you contacted the dealer about the mistake? They may send you a new one for you to return the one one you have.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 pm

The model number os the AE2023-AF1 and has only four pieces. The way the Convertible backbone is, there isn't anyway to shorten it so that it will work with your kayak. We will look into a solution. I also suggest contacting the dealer to see if they can help in anyway since they sold the wrong backbone.

Dehno

Post by Dehno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks for the info...I was afraid of the answer. May be a blessing thought...have a business trip back to the States, so can probably return for the proper one....as well as pick up another boat while there as well. Thanks again for the quick response.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 pm

The AF10.5 performs well without the backbone, so don't worry too much. You may decide you don't even need it.