"Home Made" Backbone?

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Richard

"Home Made" Backbone?

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:53 pm

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has considered making or has already made a backbone for their kayak. I have not actually seen one - other than in photos - but it seems like it would not be that difficult to fabricate. I would think that a decent piece of aluminium tubing cut to the proper length and fitted at each end with some "soft" material would do the trick. The tubing could be cut in half and dowelling inserted into one half so that the two pieces could be joined. You could, I suppose, leave it as one piece although transporting it could prove to be a nuisance. As for the "caps" at each end, it would seem that a wedge-shaped pliable cap could be made out of ????? to prevent it from ripping or projecting into the bow and stern chambers.
Perhaps this backbone is patented and making one like it would not be allowed????
Any comments or ideas?

Eric60

Post by Eric60 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:43 am

How about trying pvc pipe?? Easy to work with and it will break if there is too much stress.......rather than punching a hole in the boat......

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:51 am

Eric60 wrote:How about trying pvc pipe?? Easy to work with and it will break if there is too much stress.......rather than punching a hole in the boat......
Eric: Never thought about PVC. It might also work but it is fairly flexible and as such, may not provide the desired rigidity. Its lower cost and being easy to work with are 2 good points to consider, however. Thanks for the idea. Richard