BackBone Trick To Make It Click

AE2023-AF1, AE2023-AFX, AE2023-AFC, AE2023-DF2.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

lee johnson

BackBone Trick To Make It Click

Post by lee johnson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:39 am

As you finish putting the BB together, you may find that the middle section is reluctant to do what you want it to do. That is because there may be a slight upward "jack-knifing" of the BB. Solution: simply place the unfastened seat or any support around 2" (50 mm) high under either the bow or the stern. This will immediately give you the "play" you need to slip the BB together with ease. The same trick works when unclicking the BB at the end of a paddling session.

This simple solution is especially useful when you are assembling your kayak on uneven ground or in extreme conditions, such as the freezing temperatures that I often enjoy here in the Canadian winter. At those times, I simply cannot be bothered to fight with equipment but need things to work quickly and efficiently. The idea arose as a result of assembling my AirFusion, whose sleeve # 3 over keel-poles # 1 and # 2 tended to get "stuck" until I put the kayak's seat under the bow or stern: voila - instant success!

With respect to paddling in cold weather. I may add that the Advanced Frame kayaks, with their air chambers below and to the sides, insulate the paddler from the cold quite successfully - for many hours of wonderful paddling in even sub-freezing temperatures, in ways not possible with plastic (hard-shell) and folding kayaks because of the relative lack of insulating properties in those designs. Nevertheless, when finishing a session on icy waters, one wants to pack up and get warm as quickly as possible: hence, the desirability of unclicking the BB quickly, despite cold hands - and the usefulness of raising up the bow or stern slightly, in the manner described above, to make that happen.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Great idea, Lee!
I'll be going on an evening paddle during the Christmas season as our local paddle group enjoys the Christmas lights -- shall try your idea then.