Foot falling asleep?

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

KayakJack

Foot falling asleep?

Post by KayakJack » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:08 pm

After being out in my new 10.5 AF kayak for a couple of hours, I realized that my foot tends to fall asleep (a million needles feeling). Any reason for this?

I also feel that my foot are being narrowed together up in the front.

Will the inflatable foot brace help? any other suggesstions or what do you guys do?

PJohanson

Foot falling asleep

Post by PJohanson » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Feet sometimes fall asleep when you're paddling any kayak, inflatable or hardshell. This is usually no big problem.

The inflatable foot brace is a good idea. It makes you have better posture. Try putting a drybag or something in the bow of the boat as a temporary foot brace and see if that helps.

Sometimes only a few toes fall asleep -- usually when paddling a hard kayak with foot pegs. Try to adjust your foot's position and see if that helps. I wiggle my toes and flex my ankles.

If your foot is falling asleep, perhaps your leg is bent a little funny. Is your knee pressing on something, or a fold of clothing/wetsuit bunched at your knee?
If your leg is falling asleep, it's your posture at the hip and trunk.

Best way to avoid legs falling asleep is:
1 comfortable light clothes that don't bunch up at hips
2 good posture (straight spine, bend forward slightly at hips NOT waist) with knees slightly bent
3 put a foam cushion about the size of a rolling pin under your thighs to bring your knees up
4 get out after an hour, stretch and walk a little before paddling more

Also, get a friend to watch you paddle & chew you out for slouching. Have you taken a paddling lesson from a local guide yet? Mention the foot falling asleep and see if the guide can recommend anything else.

Very Rarely, a person has a pre-existing nerve pinch problem like sciatica that is made worse by paddling for long periods of time. Only a doctor can diagnose this. It's more likely in a hard seat than these soft seats. If you often have pain or a limb falling asleep, write notes about it and take them to a doctor!

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:19 am

I had the same problem.
Re-adjusting your sitting posture helped to get rid of that.
Most of the time it's because of too much pressure against the foot brace or airbag.
Try to increase the distance between brace and seat