Which Spray Skirt?

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

elyobelyob

Which Spray Skirt?

Post by elyobelyob » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 am

Am thinking of buying a spray skirt for my Expedition and am undecided between the packlite and touring spray skirt.

Am not sure it'll get loads of usage, and the lower cost is pushing me towards the packlite ...

Any advice?

SF48

Post by SF48 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:23 am

I use a standard spray skirt that I picked up at REI. The opening on the boat is pretty standard, so the fit is fine there. However, due to the height of the inflatable coaming the skirt must me worn in an unconventional way. I wear mine on the outside of my pfd, up around chest height. Trying to wear it normally results in a deep valley all around you that fills with water very quickly.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:35 am

Difference between the two......

AE2007 Touring skirt: Has shoulder straps and a mesh pocket on the front.
AE2026 Packlite skirt: No shoulder straps or pocket. A stripped down version of the touring skirt.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 am

On the AE site it tells us the Touring skirt will keep you warm. But is it a replacement for the normal skirt for those cold days or can you always go with the touring skirt (keeps you warm in cold but doesn't boil you in the sun)?

Also is there a need for the extra warmth provided by the touring skirt if you have good kayak clothing?