Spray skirt issue

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

krystofr

Spray skirt issue

Post by krystofr » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:13 am

Well I just got my packlite sprayskirt. The opening for my torso seems way too big (I have a size 36 waist). I can eventually pull the cord tight enough to resemble a "fit", but there's so much tension in the fabric that the clasp isn't strong enough to hold it back, and it ultimately slides back down the cord.

1) Any tips?

2) Is there a difference with the touring spray skirt that would make this more convenient?

Thanks in advance!

MDO

SpraySkirt

Post by MDO » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:19 pm

After a few trips, I realized that the skirt fits best if around the upper chest - basically at the arm pits. This also makes it fit better around the rim, and prevenst from a large 'pocket' to form. Also, once your lifejacket is overtop of it, its really eprfect.

I have the light one, and my husband the more fancy one, they both seemed to fit better this way. I hope this helps!

krystofr

Post by krystofr » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Would it be better to try the spray skirt OVER my pfd? I just don't understand why it doesn't fit better. Anyone else have the same problem? Is the product just poorly designed? Like I said, I am a size 36 waist, it's not like I'm Olive Oyl!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Not sure why you keep mentioning your waist size. Waist has nothing to do with how the spray skirt fits. Here is how it should look......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23607261@N ... 585246@N21

Jeremy

martins

Post by martins » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi so far haven't tried but practiced to assemble the boat.
got the advanced elements AE1012
also ordered the packlite spray skirt
looks okay, but the elastic strap is simply tied, nothing else and it is far too big to fit the inflating coaming (about 10inches too wide - at the bottom). No way to tighten the elastic strap further.
What is wrong? The product description says it fits all single advanced elements boats with inflatable coaming!

Martin

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Martin,

Untie the bungee at the bottom of the skirt.
Place skirt over inflated coaming around cockpit.
Pull bungee tight so that it cinches bottom under lip of coaming.
Tie bungee so that it remains cinched.
Remove skirt from coaming.
Place skirt over torso.
Sit in cockpit and stretch bottom of skirt over coaming. working from back to front is usually easier.

Jeremy

NulodPBall1

Skirt question

Post by NulodPBall1 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 am

Hi Jeremy,
I was trying to practice Eskimo Rolls (which I seem to be having trouble with) in my Advanced Frame (10.5 foot version) kayak and I couldn't seem to coordinate being in my spray skirt and being in my kayak at the same time.
Do I just need to be more flexible or is there a trick?

Ray

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 am

Ray,

An eskimo roll in an AE Frame... You have to film that. It's pretty hard I guess. Air floats and that's what makes the AE kayaks so damn pleasant to share them with newbies. Just try to push a AE Frame underwater....

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon May 17, 2010 8:32 am

Ray,

It is definately hard to do because the kayak is as wide as it is and because it is inflatable. It has been done though. You can check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--lBg6V8 ... re=related

Jeremy

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon May 17, 2010 5:16 pm

You need very good core strength to do an Eskimo roll! As your body starts to come out of the water, you need the core strength to flick your hips to right the yak. The width of the AE yaks make this very hard to do!

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Mon May 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Well the first time I saw that movie a big 'staged' balloon popped up above my head ;-)

I guess a woman with big hipps will be able to do the trick :-)