reminder-- don't drag it!

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

khaduch

reminder-- don't drag it!

Post by khaduch » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:10 am

Be careful with your kayaks! I managed to drag my Expedition across some pretty abrasive stuff (with the backbone and my gear it was too heavy!) and put a hole right through the black rubber on the bow and puncture the inner skin. My dear husband is really trying to repair the thing but it is in a very difficult spot. We are trying to find a material that will flex enough around the curve and still hold and be durable. I love this boat, have used it maybe 15 times in the last three months. Had to borrow a hard shell last night and really missed my cushy ride. Be careful with your kayaks! :(

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 am

Ouch!! I always drag mine. average 15 to 20 feet at put in and take out, but never with any gear in or on it.

good luck!!

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for the tip :) I ordered an Expedition last week, should be here in a few days :D I have a boat cart for my heavier foldables, I guess I'll use it for the AE too, just to be safe...

KayakJack

Re: reminder-- don't drag it!

Post by KayakJack » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:33 pm

You can try using Tear-Aid.
http://www.outfitterssupply.com/prodinf ... ber=WLF130

I believe West Marine and many boating stores will carry it.

khaduch wrote:Be careful with your kayaks! I managed to drag my Expedition across some pretty abrasive stuff (with the backbone and my gear it was too heavy!) and put a hole right through the black rubber on the bow and puncture the inner skin. My dear husband is really trying to repair the thing but it is in a very difficult spot. We are trying to find a material that will flex enough around the curve and still hold and be durable. I love this boat, have used it maybe 15 times in the last three months. Had to borrow a hard shell last night and really missed my cushy ride. Be careful with your kayaks! :(

khaduch

Post by khaduch » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:36 pm

thanks Jack. I will let my hubby know. He's got the inner skin pretty well patched, but has cut away at the black rubber quite a bit. Cross your fingers for me...

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:50 am

Tear Aid will work the best. If there is a big gap in the black rubber material, use one of the patches from the repair kit. It is gray, but it will work. Glue the patch over the gap. Hold it in place with clamps. After it has dried, apply tear aid over it to really create a seal. When carrying the kayak (without gear) lift from the middle of the kayak and put over your shoulder so that your shoulder and upper torso are kind of in the cockpit. This is the easiest and best way to carry it.

Jeremy
8)

khaduch

Post by khaduch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

That is about what we did. Hubby cut a quarter sized hole out of it, cut another circle of heavier patch material (for tire repair kits) then covered the whole thing with Tear Aid. I put it in the bathtub and it seems to be watertight. You can bet I won't drag it again--I dont' think he will have the patience to repair it again! :wink:

PS While I was at West Marine getting the tear aid, I ended up going home with a Skedaddle for my 10 year old! We are going to try it out tomorrow.

Damien

Post by Damien » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Yeah, I did the same thing the first time I used my Advanced Frame. I dragged across the road to get to the launch area and put a slice right thru that black area. It just grazed the inner skin. We patched the inner skin "just in case" with the patch that were provided and used tear aid on the black part. Good as new! This is great stuff. You'll want the type "B". I've used the kayak many times since with no problem. Just be careful about dragging it. Try and lift it up if you can.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:29 am

Well, I got my Expedition, took it out for it's first trip yesterday. I did a few gentle beach landings, was careful not to drag it, and yet...

:(

When cleaning it up after getting home, I found a large tear in the stern black rubber "bumper", and possibly a tiny tear in the gray skin underneath.

Overall the constuction seems to be pretty sturdy, but those bow and stern bumpers are freakin' flimsy and cheap.

For $500, I wasn't expecting a Klepper, but I did expect it to not get seriously damaged on it's first day. :roll:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:45 am

Could of possibly scraped it on a sharp rock or some other object. It is pretty rare when that area gets cut. It takes something pretty sharp or as others have done, some dragging. The PVC reinforcement is thick and can withstand most bumps and bruises. But to fix it, Tear Aid will do the trick.

Jeremy
8)
Last edited by JCOOLEY on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:54 am

Does it have to be Type B (Tear Aid)? I'm asking because NRS has Type A, and a few other things I'd like to get, but don't show Type B on their site. Just want to be sure...

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 am

Type B Is what will work with the black reinforcement. I stated before that it was rubber reinforcement but it is actually PVC reinforment. I'll fix it in my previous post. You can get it at West Marine or you can go to Tear Aid website and either order it from them or find a dealer who sells it.

Jeremy
8)

Damien

Post by Damien » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:31 pm

Type B is what you want. I got mine at EMS and West Marine has it too. The Tear Aid works great. It'll fix it good as new as long as you follow the directions. I used a heat gun on it to help it cure and put two overlapping layers on.

I've since dragged my AF through gravel, over tree trunks and sand and never had a problem, even where it has been patched is still holding up just fine. I'm convinced that I had the misfortune to drag it over something sharp and slice that black area over the stern. It would be nice if those two black areas were actually a harder plastic, since sometimes it's unavoidable to drag it over things.

I try and keep in mind that it's an inflatable, not a hardshell. :wink:

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:42 am

Here's where I'm at:

I pulled everything apart. Sure enough, there's a very tiny tear in the skin, under the hole in the black stern cover. I ordered a Tear Aid Type B patch kit (actually two of 'em), I'll get it fixed in a few days.

Some thoughts:

1) Those black bow and stern "bumpers", whatever, should be harder plastic, or tougher Hypalon. I'm not impressed at all with them, and they are supposed to protect the highest wear areas on the hull...

2) It doesn't look like it'll be too hard to fix. However, if AE is a fan of Tear Aid, perhaps they should include some in the patch kit? Just a thought...

3) I think once I get it patched, I'm going to cover the bow and stern sections with "Gorilla Tape", a very tough kind of duct tape. It would act as a "sacrificial" layer, to protect the hull, and is cheap and easy to replace when needed.

4) Otherwise, I'm very impressed. I have a Klepper and a Long Haul, both folding kayaks. I wanted something lighter and faster to prep for a quick afternoon paddle on a local lake. The Expedition handles wonderfully, tracks very well, is absolutely stable even in choppy water, and really very comfortable.

5) It occured to me that the floor could have other uses; as a float toy for goofing around in the water. Or as an air mattress, for unplanned overnight camping. I'll give it a try as both as soon as I can.

6) I pumped up the main tubes and set it outside to dry the day after my first trip. Even after being outside most of the day, when I noticed the tear in the stern piece, I pulled everything apart, and there was still a good amount of moisture trapped between the main chamber and outer skin. I plan on seperating the skin, floor, and main chamber for drying and storage, to be sure all the water is out. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

7) For the money, this is a really nice kayak. Just be sure you don't leave shore w/o a pump, and a good patch kit. Including some Tear Aid Type B (not included) :lol:

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 am

Damien wrote:Type B is what you want. I got mine at EMS and West Marine has it too. The Tear Aid works great. It'll fix it good as new as long as you follow the directions. I used a heat gun on it to help it cure and put two overlapping layers on.

I've since dragged my AF through gravel, over tree trunks and sand and never had a problem, even where it has been patched is still holding up just fine. I'm convinced that I had the misfortune to drag it over something sharp and slice that black area over the stern. It would be nice if those two black areas were actually a harder plastic, since sometimes it's unavoidable to drag it over things.

I try and keep in mind that it's an inflatable, not a hardshell. :wink:
Well Put!