West Marine Scamper II

AE1003-R(2002-2006), AE1003-O(2007), AE1023-O(2008), AE1033-O(2009)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

pdog128

West Marine Scamper II

Post by pdog128 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Was looking around West Marine's website and saw an IK they were calling the Scamper I and Scamper II. It closely resembled the Lagoon, except there was no center section (thwart?) I know that WM sells some AE kayaks that are made special for them, so I was curious as to whether this was basically a Lagoon?

If so, will the accessories (specifically the drop stitch floor and backbone) fit the Scamper II? What is the trade off, if any, between the Scamper II and the Lagoon?

I'm primarily asking because I'm trying to decide between an AdvancedFrame and the Scamper II. The Scamper II is appealing because it looks like I would be able to store more gear for camping and that it would be easier to set for solo paddling than the 2 person Lagoon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 pm

You'll have to check with JCooley and the other AE people to be sure whether the accessories fit. I think you can use either a drop-stitch floor or a Backbone, but definitely not both!
I paddle a West Marine version of the earlier model of what's now the Lagoon. I like the bright colours of the deck.
I also paddle an Expedition, and I've paddled my friend's AdvancedFrame 10.5. In my opinion, if you're looking for something to use when solo paddline, with a little room for gear so you can go camping, the Expedition is the kayak I'd recommend. It feels much more like a sea kayak on the water. It has more glide, so it covers more distance at a faster speed, especially with a Backbone. I am not a big or strong person, but I strap my Expedition in its case on a luggage roller and take it on the bus & down rough footpaths.
The Lagoon 2 feels more like a sit-on-top and is harder to steer when paddled solo. It's very good for recreational outings, nice and stable. I consider it a very affordable double, and particularly handy for taking a child on the water, or someone who can't paddle much (do lots of safety practise!). By the time I'm going to haul around a kayak this heavy for a solo trip, I prefer the more efficient shape of the Expedition. Personal tastes vary.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Scamper I and Scamper II are essentially the Lagoon and LAgoon2. The ScamperII is different then the Lagoon2 in the fact that it is a wide open cockpit. You can however still add the Backbone or the Dropstitch floor for the Scamper II. The Backbone would be the DF2 backbone AE2023-DF2 and the floor would be the AEDS1009.

Myrna49

Post by Myrna49 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:20 am

Hi guys, here is one more newbie for this platform. For me this forum sounds really interesting as have seen some really informative threads, which were worth reading. Think you guys are just amazing with the facts and the experience you share here…hope will have a good time here.

sonar

Post by sonar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Myrna49
Welcome to the forum.

destiny16

Post by destiny16 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi, I know this message is old, but I was checking out the Scamper 2 on West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... cyZmLXqnzg

In reading the reviews, many experience sagging in the middle of the boat. Any ideas on this? Does AE know of any issues with the the Scamper, or is it just a case of beginners not inflating properly?
I do like this kayak and debating between this and the Lagoon 2, but would not get it if it's a lower quality than other AE kayaks. Thoughts?

Thanks.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:15 am

Sagging is nearly always due to improper inflation. People tend to get their shorts in a knot about the kayak exploding, if they happen to put a few extra pumps into it. Having said that, it's very hard to explain in words, how to properly inflate these kayaks, you just need to get into it and get some experience. Sure, you can quote pressures and manufacturer's specs but, in the end, it just takes experience.

You will quickly find out that an under-inflated kayak performs very poorly so, the next time you inflate it, you will want to put some more pressure in it. Eventually, you will find the 'sweet spot' and settle on a way to reach that sweet spot every time you inflate it.

I prefer the AE kayaks over the West Marine ones, although all the kayaks AE makes are top quality. It's the type of kayaking you will be doing that should dictate which one you purchase. I'm having this discussion with my brother right now. He wants to buy a firefly for his teenage son, but he want's his teenage son to come on trips with us. We do fairly long paddles and, in my opinion, the firefly is not well suited for that.

So, my advice would be, choose from the AE lineup, but first decide on what type of paddling you will most often be doing. The Lagoon 2 would be my choice, if that's the type of kayak you want.