why inflatable?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

mastana

why inflatable?

Post by mastana » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:46 pm

ok this is a real silly question.
i havent got my first AE kayak as yet because i am stuck between buying a solid vs an inflatable kayak.

can you guys list a few reasons why someone should buy an inflatable kayak?

thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:03 pm

1. Portability
2. Storability
3. Price
4. Peace of Mind : )

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:22 pm

The number one reason I purchased one is because I don't have the space to store a hard shell. I store my Expedition in the back of my Ford Explorer. Second, you can travel with it. I typically mail the supplies and carry the kayak on the plane. Its better than paying for a rental and you can put in anywhere. Third, when I'm done work and the weather is good, I can head straight to the water rather than going home to get the kayak and load up supplies. Saves lots of time.

That is why I bought one.
Last edited by dspid2404 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 pm

JCooley and dspid have it right!
I bought an inflatable Advanced Elements kayak because I wanted a second kayak and found this one was affordable. It was such a different ride, I don't feel like a self-indulgent greedy person. Okay, i am a self-indulgent greedy person. but kayaking doesn't make me worse! (grin)

Biggest reason in favour of inflatables is that they fit in a car trunk or can be taken on a bus, so they're easier to take from home to the water.

Biggest reason in favour of Advanced Elements brand inflatables is that they're well made. Mine is coming up on six years old, is used a lot, and is in great condition. And the new version of the Lagoon is even better!

Ozinflatablekayaks

Post by Ozinflatablekayaks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:19 am

I have had many customers that have bought an inflatable kayak because they are traveling around the country in their caravan / RV / motorhome, and space is a valuable commodity. They could get a hard shell and put it on the roof of their vehicle, but then they have to worry about them getting stolen, and most of the people traveling around australia are oldies, so getting a heavy hard shell kayak on and off the roof of a vehicle is way too difficult!
I also have a lot of customers who have yachts and want a kayak, but simply don't have the space. With an inflatable, they can pack it up when not in use and put it in a closet or a stow hole.
My personal reason for having an Advanced Elements inflatable kayak is that they go straight and I can lift them by myself. I have been in quite a few hard shells, and they are heavy, and they go round and round in circles in the water - drives me nuts.
Hope this helps!
www.ozinflatablekayaks.com.au

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:20 am

Re: Oz's comment about hardshell kayaks going in circles -
That's "short" kayaks, whether they're hardshell or inflatable. Short kayaks wag with each stroke, and it's really easy to go in zig-zags or circles, especially if the short kayak has no skeg or keel. The stubby little playboats used for scooting around in surf or zooming down rivers have no keels and no skegs and they're wonderful for quick turns when the river is pushing you downstream toward a big rock.
Even though most of the Advanced Elements kayaks are 13 feet long or shorter, which pretty much equals a "short" kayak when compared with sea kayaks and surf skis, most AE inflatables don't wag or zig-zag as much as expected because they have skegs and a keel.
I've got a 10 foot long hardshell kayak with a good keel, and it handles much like my friend's AdvancedFrame. Friends in my paddle group have some 10 foot long Daggers and one has a cheap hard plastic 9 foot thing from Wal-Mart. We've tried other short receational kayak models as well. My whole paddling group agrees that the boat to pick if you want a 10 to 13 foot boat is NOT a cheap hardshell with no bulkheads or inflation; we pick the AdvancedFrame or the AE Expedition. The inflatables handle better on the water than hard plastic sit-on-tops.