Spray Skirt AE2026

Questions, answers and suggestions about other accessories for Advanced Elements Kayaks

Moderator: JCOOLEY

pribeiro

Spray Skirt AE2026

Post by pribeiro » Wed May 06, 2015 12:52 am

I recently bought the spray skirt AE2026 and still haven't tested it while paddling. I must add I haven't used many spray skirts in the past, but I do remember I was always able to tighten them close to my body. So it's with surprise that by tightening AE2026's chest cord as much as I possibly can, the perimeter is at least 15cm away from my chest!

That makes me assume that if I'm paddling on choppy water, the water will accumulate on my waist area and its weight will bring down the top of the skirt, making it ineffective.

Any paddlers out there who can share their experience?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 am

Are you wearing a PFD?
When I have the Spray Skirt on the top portion cinches down over my PFD and is plenty tight.

pribeiro

Post by pribeiro » Wed May 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Good point. No, I didn't have my PFD on, so that should definitely help. However, I'm skeptical it will solve the problem fully because the cord is indeed quite wide. On top of that, I seldom wear a PFD...

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed May 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Seldom? Tsk, tsk, (said gently, like a friend talking with concern to a friend). Wearing a PFD is a law for boat users for a reason. It really does help.

If your PFD is uncomfortable, try a different style. Mine isn't cheap but it is considerably more comfortable than the cheap ones.

A life jacket isn't going to be a perfect solution. But y'know, there are lots of times that a drowned boater is found near his/her boat with a PFD stuffed under the gear.

pribeiro

Post by pribeiro » Wed May 06, 2015 7:14 pm

You're absolutely right about the PDF use and I will not even attempt to debate that. :-) It's just that I live in Asia and laws, rules and procedures tend to be quite relaxed here... ;-)

I have an "addH2o" PFD and is quite comfy. Like I said, it will help with the spray skirt issue, but it will not solve it. Overall, I'm disappointed with its functionality.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:09 pm

I just purchased the spray skirt and you just have to really pull tight on the cord in order for it to be tight to the torso. Makes me wonder how long it will last until the cord breaks. Haven't tried it on the kayak yet. One of the combing parts won't inflate properly, I think I have a faulty twist valve.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:20 am

Are you wearing a PFD when you have the skirt on?

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:28 pm

JCOOLEY wrote:Are you wearing a PFD when you have the skirt on?
No, not with a pfd. That will obviously make a difference.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:35 am

Three things.
1. It is extremely dangerous to be paddling without a PFD in any condition.
2. The skirt is designed to be used with a PFD.
3. It is law in most places that a PFD must be worn at all times.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:18 am

JCOOLEY wrote:Three things.
1. It is extremely dangerous to be paddling without a PFD in any condition.
2. The skirt is designed to be used with a PFD.
3. It is law in most places that a PFD must be worn at all times.
Good to point out. Just to be clear, I always wear a pfd when out on the water in my kayak, its law here. I havent yet used the skirt on water, I only put it together and tried it in my backyard.