Extreme temperatures???

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

josito

Extreme temperatures???

Post by josito » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 pm

the owner's manual says that you should avoid exposing your kayak to extreme temperature.

what does 'extreme temperature' mean exactly? is possible a travel to a snow place? and what about an artic travel ?

PJohanson

my two bits' worth

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:46 pm

I figure "extreme temperatures" means both winter weather below freezing and summer weather approaching or above body temperature.
My friends and I live in Canada, where we use AE inflatables at temperatures ranging from below freezing up to 35 C or 98 F.

Though I store my Dragonfly inflated in the porch out of direct sun, I let some of the pressure out before setting it down. That way, the air in the main chamber or the floor chamber can expand and contract without putting too much stress on the chambers.
If I were to rest my Dragonfly on a sunny beach while taking lunch, on a hot bright day, I'd let some of the pressure out. It's always better to err on the side of caution. It's so easy to puff these boats up to full inflation just before they're used, and let a little air out when they come out of the water to sit in the sun.

Remember, in your garage or car trunk the inflatable kayak will reach temperatures much hotter in summer or colder in winter than you will feel standing under a tree in the yard.
Very hot temperatures are bad for storing inflatables, so you might store your boat in the house and only put it in the car trunk or back seat on the days when you're heading out to paddle.
An inflatable that's been stored at ten below or colder should ideally be brought indoors for a couple of hours to warm it up, before inflating. If you don't have a warm house/cabin/tent, then be gentle as you unfold it. Inflate it only half-way, let the stiff boat relax for a few minutes, and then add more air.

When paddling at 0 C or 32 F, I find the Dragonfly is only slightly stiffer than on warm days.

anda

Post by anda » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello to all forum members and the AE staff.

I have exactly the same question, and i really need numbers! It is strange that the manual doesn't contain this information and after a little search it seems that this forum exists without it, too.

Have an AdvancedFrame Convertible Kayak and our summer cottage has no heating in it. I will store the packed kayak there so I would like to be sure that it will survive the winter (and not just one winter).

So what are the two edges of the non-extreme temperature zone? Currently I am only interested in the cold one but for future purposes the hot one seems useful also.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:33 pm

When kayak is deflated in cold
-40 deg.

Deflated or inflated in heat
120 deg.

anda

Post by anda » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Thank you very much for this useful information! If i may i suggest you (the company) to write into the user manual.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I'll just confirm that I've had my AE kayaks in -10 Celsius (about 15 F) and +35 Celsius (about 105 F) temperatures and they are all still fine. Inflated well, paddled well, folded back up well.
When cold, the kayak material is stiff but not rigid. When hot, it's flexible but not melting.
Do NOT over-inflate these kayaks in hot weather... I'm much happier with a 90% full kayak that has a little room for the air to expand. And in cold weather, I don't force the kayak back into its bag if it doesn't fold small enough -- I just fold it and put it in the trunk of a car or into my porch and let it warm up a little to be just a bit more flexible.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm

First time in 10 years we have had that request. Most everyone keeps their kayaks in temps that are not that extreme. I will pass it along though.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Jcooley, aren't there some photos showing people in these kayaks in the far North paddling among icebergs? And other photos in the desert or Lake Powell or other hot places? Might be nice to see who has set the record...
:)

vsj

Post by vsj » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:40 am

JCOOLEY wrote:When kayak is deflated in cold
-40 deg.
Good to hear^H^H^H^Hread. I'm planning on storing my AF1 in the attic where there's not much insulation. I take it, it's OK since it will not get below -40°C. It'll be well below freezing for long periods of time though. Please let me know if I should reconsider :)