Dropstitch Tacoing

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Camper

Dropstitch Tacoing

Post by Camper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:47 pm

I've got an Expedition Elite, and even with the dropstitch floor inflated to the full 6 PSI I'm getting some severe tacoing on flat water, which gets even worse when going over waves.

In calm conditions the kayak bends about 10 degrees either side of my torso, increasing when paddling into waves. Normally the waterline is about even with the seam between the deck and the hull, compared with the deck at the bow/stern being at least 6 inches from the water and the black reinforcing strip on the bow being completely out of the water.

I thought it might be possible that the gauge on my AE pump isn't accurate and I wasn't fully inflated (it's a new pump, but the gauge is already giving me problems). I checked the pressure against my friends AE pump and they read the same.

I'm not a small guy, but I expected better. Honestly, I expected the dropstitch to behave like a stand up paddleboard and support my entire weight while remaining perfectly flat. Is something wrong, or do I need to get a backbone to keep the boat straight?

Should I add weights to the bow/stern to even things out?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: Dropstitch Tacoing

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 am

It just sounds like the kayak is under inflated. Contact customer service to troubleshoot.
info@advancedelements.com
707-745-9800

lee johnson

Post by lee johnson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:25 pm

It is now over a year and a half since you posted your concerns about the dropstitch floor. Did you get a BackBone to solve the problem? I am a great fan of the BB, not only because it improves rigidity of the kayak but also because it imparts a V-shape to the hull, thereby improving tracking and lessening "drag" with an uptick to hull speed. 8)

lee johnson

Post by lee johnson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:33 pm

"Camper": Some years ago, on this forum, I posted a comparison of DropStitch and BackBone floors for the AFX Expedition. One of my brothers, a very large man, helped me do the comparison. With the DS floor, he easily made the kayak taco. With the BB, all was well. A question I have about the new AFX is this: it now comes with the DropStitch floor, as I understand it. If you acquire a BB, however, you really should revert to the "air mattress" floor which was standard on the old "classic" Expeditions. Ask your dealer to get you the softer and gentler "air mattress" floor with your BB.