MINIMUM PADDLING TEMPERATURE

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

mtpaddler

MINIMUM PADDLING TEMPERATURE

Post by mtpaddler » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:03 pm

This morning's temperature was a balmy 13 degrees. It's still going to be awhile before lakes freeze up so paddling and camping still isn't out of the question. I'm wondering how cold the outside air temperature can be before you would recommend NOT using my kayak.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 am

You can use the kayak in fairly cold temperatures. If you look at some of the photos on the site, there are people pulling the kayak through snow and also others paddling around ice. The kayak will hold up in cold temps. The key is after you have inflated the kayak, put it on the water for about 5-10 minutes to let the air inside the kayak adjust to the water temperature. Usually because the water is colder than the air outside, the pressure inside the kayak will decrease. Once it has sat for a little bit, then top the kayak off so that you have full pressure.

Jeremy
8)

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:37 pm

I live in Canada, on an island near Vancouver BC. Cold isn't a factor for me. My Dragonfly works fine at 32 F or 0 Celsius and a few degrees below, which is about as cold as it usually gets here. I stay away from ice on the lakes and the one sheltered bay that freezes over.